Pet insurance will help pay for the veterinarian throughout your cat’s life, but some insurance companies cover even more than that. Not being enrolled for pet insurance might lead to a major blow on your pockets the day an illness appears in your pet. Most companies provide 70-90% reimbursements for veterinarian fees; however, they’re all slightly different in terms of extra benefits and pricing.
Regardless of your financial situation, enrolling in a trusted insurance company will help cover all your cat medical expenses. You can save a lot when your cat is sick or hurt.
Following, we have evaluated some of the best pet insurance companies for cats. With slight differences in their benefits and policies, searching a bit may lead you to the one suited best to you and your pet. These are all US-based companies and provide at least 70% reimbursement.
Best Pet Cat Insurance Companies Reviews
- Starts at only 6 weeks
- Includes VirtualVets visits
- Can go to any licensed vet in the US
- No limits on lifetime or per condition claims
- Doesn’t require fees for signing up
- Reimbursement of boarding fees is up to $1,000
- Coverage for preventative care not included
- You need to take your cat to the vet within 48 hours of seeing symptoms in them to get coverage
- Coverage for older pets is limited
- Doesn’t have discounts for multiple pets
- Has a 6-month waiting period for hip dysplasia and knee injuries
Petplan will cover any accidents or injuries in your pets. The coverage can start as early as when kittens are 6 months old to deal with pre-existing conditions.
This insurance will give coverage for:
- A few congenital and hereditary conditions if the pet didn’t have symptoms before the coverage was purchased.
- Dental care, for example, dental injuries, tooth diseases, and hereditary and chronic conditions.
- Boarding fees for hospitalization of up to $1000 – without any deductible or copay.
You can choose either an annual or a per-condition deductible. The company offers deductible amounts in increments of $50 between $100 and $2,500. For cats, the average monthly premium is $18. The annual deductible is from %250 to $1,000, and the per condition deductibles are from $250 to $$2,500.
A comprehensive non-routine dental coverage will cover oral diseases and injuries, periodontal disease, extractions, and even advanced roots treatments, for example, root canal therapy. There are no dental condition limits.
It also covers alternative, holistic and homeopathic therapies without any extra cost, including acupuncture, hydrotherapy, and physical therapy. Coverage is provided for boarding kennel fees. In the case of non-standard expenses, for example, trip cancellations or if the owner is hospitalized, you can get a reimbursement. These non-standard expenses include a “reasonable award” for the ad costs when a pet is lost.
Your policy will not be terminated based on your claims history or only because the pet is sick.
However, preventative care is not included. This included grooming, vaccinations, routine and wellness exams, and microchipping. For pets over 10 years of age, a policy limits them to an annual limit of $15,000 only, a deductible of $750, and only reimbursement of 70% for all the services covered.
What we like:
We like that Petplan is the best insurance for cats as this can be started as early as 6 months of age for kittens to cover pre-existing conditions. It also covers severe conditions and hereditary ones, for example, cancer and diabetes for all cats.
2. Healthy Paws
- 99% of the claims are processed in 2 days
- The annual benefits are unlimited
- You can submit claims using email, fax, online, or with the ‘Healthy Paws’ mobile app
- Claim payouts include no caps
- Pre-existing conditions which can be cured are also covered
- You can visit any US-based licensed vet
- Accidents and illnesses have a 15-day waiting period
- There is no discount for multiple pets
- No preventative care, or alternative treatment, or a wellness plan
- 15-day waiting period for accident and illness
- A one-time $25 fee is charged
- The deductibles and options for reimbursement are limited for pets above 6 years of age
- Limits deductibles and reimbursement options for pets over age 6
Healthy Paws doesn’t have a limit to the number of claims you can make. The monthly cost will be anywhere between $15 to $90, depending on the breed, age of your cat, choice of co-pay and deductible, and your zip code.
The entire insurance plan covers:
- Prescription medications
- Hospital stays
It allows you to visit any US-based vets. You can also visit any emergency 24-hour hospital. Radiologists, ophthalmologists, cardiologists, internal medicine experts, and oncologists for cancer care can be seen without requiring a referral.
A co-pay of 10%, 20%, 30% or 40% can be chosen. The amount for payout will depend on the bill of the veterinarian.
Lifetime coverage is given to pets that are six years and above. The coverage includes any accidents or illnesses. Pets need to be 8 weeks old and younger than 14 years to get enrolled. There are also some restrictions based on age:
- Pets above eight years of age can only get a 60% reimbursement and an annual deductible of $750.
- Pets above six years of age will need a physical exam 30 days before purchasing the policy or in the first 15 days after issuing the policy.
After enrolling, however, the pet can stay enrolled regardless of age, and the coverage will not be canceled due to age.
However, preventative care is not covered by this plan. This includes:
- Flea and parasite control
- Heartworm medication and deworming
- Spaying and neutering
- Dental healthcare
What we like:
With a low starting premium and no caps policy on claim payouts, Healthy Paws is set apart from the rest of the companies.
- Any US-based licensed veterinarian can be visited
- The deductibles and premiums are flexible
- Fast claims process
- When you bundle with home insurance, a 10% discount is provided
- A mobile app can be used to handle everything
- There is no in-person or phone signup
- Enrollment is available in 36 states only
- Prescription food and dental care will not be covered
- It doesn’t cover any curable pre-existing conditions
An AI-powered platform offers Lemonade’s pet insurance. A policy can be purchased, as well as claims filed. This can be done with a fully automated underwriting process, making it fast and convenient as all the steps can be done at home. Customer service reps are also available in case you need help.
The insurance policy covers accidents and illness situations:
- X-rays, MRI, CT scan, and ultrasounds
- Blood tests
- Outpatient, specialty, and emergency care
- Cancer treatment
- Injections and prescription medication
Preventative care is covered. This includes vaccines, annual check-ups, bloodwork, heartworm, and parasite screening. Treatments such as acupuncture and veterinarian exam fees are also covered.
The price will depend on how you choose to set up the policy and on your pet. A deductible of $100, $250, or $500 and up to 90% in coinsurance can be chosen. The annual limits are $5,000-$100,000. The monthly payments start at $10 per month, which is relatively low compared to other plans.
The accident and illness coverage with an optical wellness package has levels of reimbursement of 70%, 80%, or 90% after the deductible. The annual deductible choices are $100, $250, or $500. The maximum annual coverage can be up to $5,000, $10,000, $20,000, $50,000 or even $100,000.
However, you will not get a 24/7 veterinarian helpline which could be an issue in emergencies. Also, there are waiting periods for the covered situations. These are:
- 2 days for accidents
- 14 days for illnesses
- 6 months for knee joint injuries
Some non-profit organizations are also given premium payments by Lemonade. The donations, however, are not guaranteed.
What we like:
With affordable monthly rates, which can be as low as $10, and convenient processing, Lemonade is best in terms of innovation. Through AI-powered processing, all the steps in the insurance can be done on the phone. The monthly premiums are also low, making it affordable in competition with others.
- You can visit any US-based licensed veterinarian
- All the conditions have a 14-day waiting period
- Dental illnesses are covered
- If a veterinarian treats behavioral problems, they are covered
- The claims processing is fast and easy
- Offers a discount of 10% in case of multiple pets
- Older pets will be covered and will not be refused the coverage due to getting old
- Only a year in business
- Has only two annual coverage limits, and there are no other options for reimbursement
- Only US residents can avail
Pumpkin has plans starting from $30 per month. This per month price can differ based on the plan type chosen, the breed, location, and age. A 90% reimbursement rate of 90% gives coverage. The three deductible options are $100, $250, and $500.
The provider’s accident & illness pet insurance plan was underwritten by the United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by Pumpkin Insurance Services, Inc.:
- CT scans
- Prescription meds for covered conditions
- Behavioral issues
- Microchip implantation
- Alternative therapy
In case of dental disease, coverage will be provided. This will consist of exams, medications, and procedures. Routine dental cleanings, however, are not covered. Moreover, a non-insurance preventative care pack which is optional, will help your pet get vaccinations, annual wellness exams, and lab tests for parasites.
Some companies deny coverage for older pets which is not the case with pumpkins, and they will not be denied coverage. If you have multiple pets, applying for the pet insurance plans will help you get a 10% discount.
The monthly premiums will vary according to your cat’s age, breed, and location, as well as the annual limit and deductible. The annual coverage for cats can be up to $15,000. The deductible options are $100, $250, and $500. Once this is met, the insurance will cover 90% of the expenses in conditions related to an accident or illness.
Another Pumpkin Preventative Essentials is offered, which is an optional add-on non-insurance benefit. However, this is not available in all US states. However, no pre-existing conditions are covered with this insurance, just like many other companies.
What we like:
Pumpkin was picked as one of the best companies for cats because of the comprehensive insurance. In addition, it has a non-insurance preventative care option. This option is more affordable as well.
- Any US-based licensed veterinarian can be visited. This also includes Puerto Rico and International US military bases.
- There is coverage for a hereditary and congenital condition
- 90% coverage for all plans
- It comes with a pet owner assistance package
- A 24/7 customer service
- No per incident, monthly, or lifetime limits for benefits
- Lifetime per condition deductibles
- Enrollment is available for permanent residents in the US
- It doesn’t give any discounts
- No coverage for preventive care
- Only monthly payments accepted
Trupanion covers hip dysplasia and other hereditary conditions such as diabetes, thyroid disease, and upper respiratory infections. For cats, the monthly premiums start at $32.
The insurance covers:
- New, unidentified issues, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and cough
- Congenital conditions, such as heart disease, cataracts, and nervous system issues
- For an extra cost, recovery and complementary care for non-clinical procedures, such as acupuncture, behavioral modification, and rehabilitative therapy
A lifetime per condition deductible is also offered. With this, you’ll only pay a deductible once your pet develops a new condition. The deductible can even be set at $0 if you wish so. After completing the deductible, this policy will cover anything related to that condition for a lifetime by paying 90% of everything then.
The flexible deductible can be anywhere from $0 to $1000, allowing you to set up your plan by yourself based on your budget.
Congenital conditions such as heart disease, cataracts, liver disease, etc., are covered—unidentified conditions such as vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, weight change, etc. The conditions are covered by 90%.
Trupanion also offers a lifetime per condition deductible, where you only pay a deductible if your pet develops a new condition. You can even set your deductible at $0. Once the deductible is paid, your policy pays out at 90% for anything related to that condition for the rest of your pet’s life.
The Trupanion direct payment software helps pay the veterinarian easily and directly without filing out a claim. This makes the process very quick and easy.
What we like:
The lifetime per condition deductible sets Trupanion apart from the others. This way, if your pet does have a chronic or hereditary condition, you’ll only have to make the deductible payments. Trupanion will take care of the rest for a lifetime instead of having to pay annually.
- Allows you to visit any licensed veterinarian, emergency clinic, or specialist based in the U.S.
- Virtual and mobile vet visits are covered.
- Offers virtual training with animal behaviorists such as Caesar Millan and Sarah Hodgson.
- No annual, per incident, or lifetime caps
- A range of different reimbursement options, annual limits, and deductions to choose from
- Curable pre-existing conditions are covered
- Pets should be over eight weeks old
- Exotic pets are not facilitated
- Waiting period is 14 days
Spot has the status of being the only pet insurer recommended by its chairman, Cesar Millan. It is newer than the other companies; however, the insurance does not fall behind.
The accident and illness coverage includes:
- X-rays, MRI, and CT scan
- Vet treatment
- Surgery and hospitalization
- Prescription food and medication
- Alternative therapies
- End of life expenses
- Stem cell therapy
- Cancer treatments
- Chronic conditions
- Dental treatment, and more
There are accident-only plans as well as an optical wellness rider for preventive care. If your pet hasn’t shown symptoms for 180 days and therefore seems to be cured (excluding ligament or knee conditions), pre-existing conditions will also be covered.
The payment structure for Spots payment programs is very flexible. Various deduction options are available, ranging from $100 to $1,000. There are also a few annual limit options. These range from $2,500 to $20,000 and can also be unlimited. The reimbursement options also have a few choices, the 70%, 80%, and 90% reimbursement.
The monthly rates also start as low as $10 (for accidents). The $16 monthly payment is for complete coverage. These will vary based on the plan type, breed of pet, location, and age. There is also no upper limit to enroll. As long as your cat is eight months old and above, it can register, and enrolling is not limited to younger ages. Older pets may also enroll.
Curable pre-existing conditions are also covered. Many companies, in comparison, do not cover pre-existing conditions. Spot’s policies are managed by C&F Insurance Agency, Inc., which handles claims, billing, and customer service. United States Fire underwrites its policies.
What we like:
With Spot, there are no maximum payout limits per incident at all, per lifetime, or annually. If the costs exceed the coverage limit, you don’t have to worry about spending out of budget.
- It is available in 50 states as well as Washington DC
- Has an Optional Wellness Rewards Program
- An accident-only plan is available
- Diminishing deductible
- Covers vet exam fee
- Can get hospitalization and emergency care at any licensed clinic in the US
- It comes with a 24/7 pet helpline
- It does not cover accidents and illnesses for pets over 14 years of age
- Wellness benefits are limited
- No unlimited benefit options
- Not available in some US territories
Embrace insurance provides good coverage for dental illnesses, including root canals, gingivitis, extractions, crowns, and broken, chipped, and fractured teeth. It is for $1000 per policy year in most of the states. For cats, the coverage is as low as under $6 per month.
This will cover:
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioral therapy
- Emergency veterinary care
- Specialist care, diagnostic testing (including x-rays and MRIs)
- Hospitalization & surgery
- Prosthetics & mobility devices
- Prescription drug coverage
Additional coverage for wellness exams is provided. In addition, grooming, vaccinations, spaying, neutering, and training are covered. The reimbursement for this plan will be $650 per year. Their policy, however, does not include routine care such as annual check-ups and cleaning, however with a wellness rider, these can be reimbursed.
The deductibles are shrinkable. You can set them between $100 to $1000. A $50 reduction will be received every year a claim is not filed. After a few consecutive claim reimbursement-free years, the deductible will be reduced to zero, as your pet is healthy.
Monthly premiums begin at $9 for cats. The highest monthly payment would be $100.This will depend on the plan you’ve chosen. Annual benefits are $15,000, whereas reimbursements can be 90%. The claims can always be submitted online, using email, a mobile app, or fax.
You have a co-pay of 10%, 20%, or 30% after the deductible, which will depend on the plan you’ve chosen. The payout amount will be based on the vet’s bill. Your cat’s age must be at least six weeks old to enroll. Pets over 14 years of age will be given accident-only coverage. After enrolling, however, the pets will stay enrolled, and enrollment will not be canceled based on age.
What we like:
Embrace is more comprehensive in terms of dental coverage, making it better than its competitors, which only cover a few dental accidents and injuries.
- You can visit any US-based licensed veterinarian
- Accident only policy offered
- Alternative therapies reimbursed
- Monthly premiums are affordable
- If you have multiple pets, you’ll get a 10% discount on each pet enrolled
- Microchip implantation covered
- Has a 24/7 pet telehealth line
- Preventative care does not have any waiting periods
- Offers accident-only policy
- There is a waiting period of 14 days for accidents and injuries.
- ASPCA does not manage insurance
- There is no chat support
- Riders for preventative care don’t work on an annual limit but an itemized basis.
- No unlimited coverage
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) offers several pet insurance policies underwritten by the United States Fire Insurance Company. A 24/7 pet telehealth line will be provided. Any licensed veterinarian in the US can be visited as there is no network.
70% to 90% will be reimbursed for covered costs, paid with a check, or directly deposited. The monthly premiums are very low compared to other insurances. Annual limits can be as low as $3000
The entire plan covers:
- Hereditary and congenital conditions, including hip dysplasia
- Behavioral health issues
Two different preventative care riders will be added to the policies of all the pets. Instead of the standard annual limit for wellness procedures, these riders work on an itemized basis even though the exact treatment will differ from animal to animal.
The payout amount will be based on the actual vet bill. The rate will be pre-selected by the customer, 70%, 80%, or 90%. The deductible will be $100, $250, or $500 annually. Pets have to be at least eight weeks old to enroll. However, there are no upper age limits. Once enrolled, the pets will stay enrolled.
Treatment for behavioral issues such as fur pulling, destructive chewing, and excessive licking is also covered by ASPCA. If pre-existing conditions re-emerge after being symptom-free for six months, coverage will be given.
However, these policies are underwritten by the United States Fire Insurance Company instead of being managed by the ASPCA on their own. These are produced ad administered by the C&F insurance agency.
What we like:
You can easily lower your annual limit and reduce premium payments to fit your budget with ASPCA insurance. This is possible due to the flexible pricing structure; therefore, the monthly premiums are so affordable. This is the most budget-friendly.
9. Pets Best
- Any licensed US-based veterinarian can be visited
- Premiums are very low
- Provides a 24-hour helpline of veterinary experts
- Accident-only and wellness plans are offered at a flat rate
- Many deductible choices to choose from
- Will directly reimburse your veterinarian
- Continental US residents only can enroll
- Prescribed vitamins, diet, or supplements will not be covered by the accident and illness plan
- No experimental, holistic, or herbal therapy
Pets Best owns three Accident Illness policies, Essential, Plus, or Elite; you can choose one. Because there is no maximum age limit, your old-aged pet will also get coverage on their conditions. However, for pre-existing health issues, coverage won’t be provided.
All plans cover:
- Cancer treatments
- Hereditary and congenital conditions
- Emergency care
- Behavioral conditions
- And more!!
Two wellness coverage options can also be added to the three ones for routine care needs. Depending on what plan you’ve chosen, the monthly payment will be $6 and above. The deductible will be $50 to $1000 annually. After the deductible, reimbursement levels are optional, 70%, 80%, or 90%.
The flat rate of accident coverage is $6 per month for cats. Two wellness plans will cover routine care. A 24/7 Pet Helpline is also available. This is powered by whiskerDocs and is included in all the policies. The payout amount is based on the vet bill.
To enroll, your cat must be seven weeks old at least. Coverage or availability is the same for older pets. Therefore, aging pets can benefit from the coverage without being disadvantaged. The maximum annual coverage is $5000 or unlimited.
Waiting periods for most insurance companies are long. However, the accident coverage waiting period of Pets Best is only three days. If you have more than one pet, enrolling more than one will give a discount of 5% at Pets Best. If your vet agrees, you can pay the vet directly and not wait for the reimbursement after paying the vet yourself.
What we like:
The pricing options are many. Pet owners can set up their plan which fits their budget by choosing low reimbursement and basic coverage. Still, even the most comprehensive coverage fees are not above $50, so this is a great affordable option.
- Will reimburse 100% of vet bills
- It comes with a 30-day money-back policy if no claims have been filed
- 3-day short waiting period for injuries
- Pet cloud mobile app allows 24/7 virtual vet visits and customer service
- The network is not needed in the US
- For knee injuries and orthopedic conditions, the waiting period is 6-month long
- No routine or preventative care coverage
- $ 100,000-lifetime limits on some policies
- The upper limit is $20,000 in Massachusetts and Washington annually due to the unlimited policy.
FIGO comes with three different plan tiers. All the plans cover chronic, hereditary, and congenital conditions. All policies have annual limits, from $5,000 to unlimited. A lifetime limit of $100,000 could also be on some policies. This depends on how old the pet is and what state it is in.
The following expenses are covered:
- Emergency care
- Diagnostic testing
- Cancer treatments
- Hereditary, congenital, and chronic conditions
- Vet examination fees coverage available as a rider
The monthly payment ranges from $9 to $135 on average, depending on which plan you’ve chosen. The reimbursement level can be chosen 70%, 80%, 90%, or even 100% reimbursement. Providing complete reimbursement sets FIGO apart from other companies. Wellness coverage will cover vaccinations and routine blood work.
The deductibles can be chosen. These can be $100, $250, $500, $750, $1,000 or $1,500 annually. There is more flexibility with a wider range, and the deductibles offered will depend on the pet’s location and age. To enroll, your cat must be at least eight weeks of age. After enrollment, no upper age limits apply, so even your old age pet can get coverage.
Higher-level plans increase the annual payout limit. There are options to cover prescription food as well as vet fees. Other companies do not always cover prescription food. For ease, the pet cloud mobile app can be used. With this, you can connect to a licensed veterinarian or another veterinary professional. With the app, you’ll stay connected 24/7 to your vet.
However, pre-existing conditions are not covered. The exception is when the condition is curable and the pet hasn’t shown symptoms from the last 12 months. Waiting periods vary state by state.
What we like:
Compared to other competitors who would only cover up to 90% of the vet bills, FIGO will cover 100% of the bills.